HIROSHIMA CASTLE

Hiroshima Castle was constructed by Terumoto Mori in 1589. After he was forced to retreat from Hiroshima in 1600, Masanori Fukushima and the lords of the Asano Family governed the castle and the town around it during the Edo period. After the Meiji Restoration, military buildings belonging to the new administration were built in the castle grounds, but the original castle tower was preserved and designated a National Treasure in 1931. However, the 1945 atomic bombing destroyed the tower, and it was reconstructed in 1958 as a symbol of the city's recovery. It now serves as a historical museum featuring samurai culture.

Address
21-1 Motomachi, Naka-ku, Hiroshima-shi, Hiroshima
Tel.
+81 82 221 7512
Fax.
+81 82 221 7519
URL
http://www.rijo-castle.jp
E-mail
museum@rijo-castle.jp

Back to top